[Tran Hung Dao Mechanical Factory] Fortuned Palimpsest
Tran Hung Dao Mechanical Factory, formerly known as Kien Thiet Camp, was founded on April 19th, 1947 in Vinh Quang commune, Tuyen Quang province to serve Vietnam’s prolonged resistance.
After signing the Geneva Accords, like many “guerrilla factories” in Viet Bac, Tran Hung Dao mechanical factory relocated to 191 Ba Trieu street, Hanoi in 1956. On this site, once was the Indochine Match Factory, which was built by the French in 1890 on the “abandoned fortuned-ground” of the Nam Giao Altar from the Ly Dynasty.
This is a story about one of the pieces of land that is constantly forgotten and overwritten in the history of Hanoi.